About Sleeve Gastrectomy
The most commonly performed laparoscopic bariatric procedure is called gastric sleeve. Bariatric sleeve surgery, or vertical sleeve gastrectomy, involves surgically narrowing the stomach. It is an innovative new surgical solution for people who are morbidly obese, defined as having a body mass index over 37.5, or 32.5 if you have weight-related conditions.
Sleeve Gastrectomy, also known as the Gastric Sleeve Procedure has been increasing in popularity and is the fastest growing weight loss surgery option. Sleeve gastrectomy surgery is a restrictive surgical procedure.
It is used as a stand-alone alternative procedure or as the first part of a two-stage procedure for extremely obese individuals (BMI of 50-60) to reduce their weight and lower their risk for other bariatric surgeries such as gastric bypass. It has been found that in certain cases the gastric sleeve procedure can be as effective as gastric bypass surgery, regarding metabolic benefits including insulin and glucose stabilization. The gastric sleeve has become a cornerstone in our practice because it has been proven in our practice to be a safe and effective operation, for those people who don’t want anatomic alteration of gastric bypass, nor a plastic insert, like band surgery. Patients have come from all over India to have this operation performed at VIGOS hospital.
Patients who may consider the gastric sleeve include those who are:
- Concerned of Protein and vitamin deficiency associated with other weight loss surgery procedures
- Medical conditions that prevent them from having gastric bypass surgery
- Patient's choice
It is my choice if I have to undergo bariatric surgery
Sleeve gastrectomy has these potential advantages:
- Fewer dietary restrictions as stomach function remains normal
- Less hunger by reducing ghrelin production
- No dumping syndrome
- Minimal chance of an ulcer occurring
- Fewer problems with nutritional deficiencies in long term
- Can be performed laparoscopically in patients weighing over 200kg
- Long-term weight loss solution
- Normal digestion and absorption
- No need for protein supplements after 1 year
- No intestinal bypass or foreign body required and its associated risks
- No adjustments needed
- Weight loss equal to or better than bypass
- Safest for patients over 180 kg
- Leaves intestinal tract intact
- Allows normal stomach function
- Significantly improves or resolves over 80 percent of cases of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and other co-morbidities
Having weight loss surgery is a major decision that should not be made casually.
- We will educate you and support you throughout your journey, making sure you feel informed and confident about your treatment plan.
- We will take down a detailed medical history, talk to you about your needs and goals, and then advise you. If we decide that gastric sleeve doesn’t fit your needs, we will suggest a better alternative.
- If you are approximately 30 kg overweight, you may be a good candidate for gastric sleeve.
- Our team performs a full pre-operative workup to make sure you can undergo surgery safely. Any surgical procedure will carry some degree of risk, but your safety is our top priority and we will make recommendations accordingly.
- Though our patients have different treatment plans, we hear the same sentiment expressed repeatedly: our patients tell us that they wish they had had surgery sooner.
It is not too late for you! Contact us today to take the first step toward improved health and happiness.
At VIGOS hospital, we often receive feedback from patients that our weight loss program is thorough and comprehensive. Our patients feel informed as they prepare for surgery, and they are supported afterward.
We will help you navigate life after surgery and make healthy choices for optimal weight loss results. Our weight loss professional team will work with you personally to develop meal plans, answer questions and provide moral support.
You are never alone on your weight loss journey. There is always a friendly face to offer helpful information and encouragement
There are several reasons people consider gastric sleeve as an alternative to other bariatric surgeries:
- Concern about the long-term effects of intestinal bypass
- Concern about a foreign object in their body
- Suffer from conditions such as anemia, or extensive prior surgery that prevents them from having other bariatric surgery
- Take medications such as anti-inflammatories that place them at higher risk of surgical complications
In the right hands, this is a very safe procedure. Our results are consistently the best in Vadodara and rank among the very top in the country. Most patients lose 60 percent or more of their extra weight. As a result of this weight loss, many patients achieve greatly improved health following their gastric sleeve procedure.
Gastric Sleeve Recovery
- Surgery takes approximately one to two hours to perform.
- On average, our patients leave the hospital 3-4 days after gastric sleeve surgery.
- Return to work varies from one to three weeks, depending on the type of work.
- No heavy lifting (more than 10lbs) is allowed for four to six weeks after surgery.
Gastric Sleeve Diet: Post Op Care & Follow-Up
- You will have the support of our dedicated team of medical professionals who will work with you on nutrition, exercise, psychological, and physical therapy needs both before surgery and for the long-term.
- Patients will be on a clear liquid diet for the first 2 weeks immediately following gastric sleeve surgery and then advance to a pureed diet .
- The diet protocol will be given to you as a separate document.
- At six months after the surgery, most patients will be on their long-term maintenance diet, which is more or less what and how they will eat for the rest of their lives.
- Patients may expect to lose approximately 60 percent of their excess body weight during the first two years following surgery.
- Many co-morbid conditions, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obstructive sleep apnea, resolve after having the gastric sleeve procedure.
As with all medical procedures, there can be potential risks of unforeseen, unknown, or adverse reactions. Please discuss your questions and expectations about the gastric sleeve surgery with us so that we can evaluate the benefits versus any possible risks.
- Your doctor will prescribe pain relieving medications to keep you comfortable following the procedure.
- You will be advised to take medication to reduce the amount of acid produced by your stomach.
- Avoid strenuous exercises and lifting heavy weights until approved by your surgeon
- For the first month after the procedure, eat only small amounts of soft foods
- Sip water throughout the day to prevent dehydration.
- Eat a highly nutritious diet rich in proteins with a low-fat content.
- Your dietitian will tailor a new diet regimen for you to follow.
- There is a potential for inadequate weight loss or weight regain. While this is true for all procedures, it is theoretically more possible with procedures that do not have an intestinal bypass.
- Higher BMI patients will most likely need to have a second stage procedure later to help lose the rest of the weight.
- Sometimes sleeve gastrectomy is carried out as a first stage of a two-stage operation in extremely obese patients with a BMI of 60 or more. This is done to achieve a considerable amount of weight loss, so it is safer for the patient to undergo a second bariatric surgery if needed.
- Potential for dilation of the sleeve affecting weight loss